Process Safety Management Plan Development
Location: Portland, OR
MFA worked with Ajinomoto to develop a process safety management (PSM) and risk management plan (RMP) for their ammonia refrigeration process at a Portland facility. MFA’s extensive experience with ammonia refrigeration processes and close relationships with industry suppliers and contractors made it possible to develop technically accurate, user-friendly, site-specific tools, such as clear written operating procedures, maintenance schedules, and process safety information. At the end of the development process, Ajinomoto had a streamlined, focused plan with an organized library of technical documents and records.
As part of the project, MFA helped Ajinomoto develop several tools to implement PSM/RMP-required activities, such as:
- A maintenance time and expense calculator that helps Ajinomoto assign the proper maintenance staff and budget.
- An organized and interactive electronic library that helps Ajinomoto locate, retrieve, track, and manage required information.
- A system to assign and track follow-up to required activities, such as recommendations from process hazard analyses, compliance audits, and pre-startup safety reviews.
- A calendar of activities to let appropriate personnel know when required tasks are due.
- A training packet based on Ajinomoto’s refrigeration system.