Interbay Armory Relocation and Redevelopment Planning
Client: Washington State Department of Commerce
Location: Seattle, WA
About the Project
As the Washington Military Department plans to relocate its National Guard facility from Seattle’s Ballard/Interbay manufacturing industrial center, there are significant political, financial, and logistical implications that must be factored into potential future plans for the nearly 25-acre site.
Meet the Client
The property presents a unique development opportunity in a tight Seattle real estate market. However, the National Guard performs an essential public function and will need to be fully operational on a new site before any development occurs on the Interbay property. To help develop a plan to maximize the public benefit and economic development opportunities at the site, the state legislature established and tasked a committee through the Department of Commerce to oversee a redevelopment planning process.
Key Project Solutions
MFA led a team of consultants to deliver the following outcomes to the committee:
- Evaluation and reporting of existing conditions through Environmental Site Assessment
- Preparation and presentation of redevelopment scenarios with a compelling vision for the future
- Sharing information and gather feedback from key stakeholders through public meetings, surveys, and interviews
- Feasible path for relocation of the National Guard facility (subconsultant)
- Creation of an implementation plan to support the reuse of the Interbay property
Efforts on this project reached a key milestone in November 2019, when a final report including the Interbay Public Development Advisory Committee’s recommendations and implementation plan was given to the legislature and Office of the Governor.