MFA Kids | Learn About Health and Safety
What is Health and Safety?
Health and safety (also referred to as occupational health and safety) is a field that focuses on the wellbeing of others. Health and safety professionals do many things to make sure people aren’t exposed to anything hazardous at work. Even schools need health and safety professionals to keep kids and teachers safe from any hazards. What are these hazards? Well, five categories of hazards exist. They are:
- Safety hazards are unsafe working conditions that may cause injury, illness, or death, such as spills on a walking surface or working in high places without a harness.
- Chemical hazards are chemicals in the form of liquid, gas, vapor, fume, or small particles floating in the air that are harmful to our bodies.
- Biological hazards involve being close to other people, animals, or infectious materials. A few examples of biological hazards are bacteria, blood, mold, and viruses.
- Physical hazards can cause harm to us when we come into contact with them—hazards like radiation, things that are hot or cold, and even noise.
- Ergonomic hazards are physical positions that may risk injury to parts of your body that provide form and support. These hazards include improperly lifting objects and sitting in awkward positions for a long time.
Health and safety professionals try their best to remove these hazards if they can’t prevent them. If materials, equipment, or environments are dangerous, they make sure that there are safety rules, protective guards, or other controls in place to help keep you safe. They even make sure that people who are around chemical and biological hazards wear things like face masks and shields, just like we are doing to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Recognizing these hazards in the workplace and working to prevent them help reduce the risk that someone will get hurt.
Back to the MFA Kids HomepageGo to MFA Kids
1. Watch the Video
Watch this video about what it’s like to climb and repair wind turbines for a living, which is a very risky job. While you’re watching the video, think about the following questions:
- What are some of the dangerous hazards she encounters while completing her work?
- What are some of the ways she helps reduce her risk of something bad happening?
2. Complete the Activity
Now it’s time for you to be a health and safety professional and spot hazards, this time we’ll do it in your own home. Look around your house and try to find five potentially hazardous items or locations. You might find some physical hazards in your kitchen or chemical hazards where your parents keep the cleaning supplies. List what the hazard is and what category the hazard falls under. If you get stuck, ask a parent for help!
3. Complete the Coloring Page
Time to color! There are many safety hazards and health concerns in this coloring page. Try and circle all the hazards you see and give the page your best coloring effort. We’re excited to see what you create!
4. Show Us Your Stuff
Take a picture of yourself watching the video, doing the activity, or coloring, and share it with us by using the form below! You just need to complete one of this week’s activities in order to receive your MFA Kids badge.